Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Green Tomato Relish

It was stinking hot yesterday, kids were tired and scratchy so perfect time to make relish. Even with the doors wide open the house was so hot. But at least it was all done and now we can get back to eating our favourite snack!
CHEESE AND CRACKERS!!!!!
It was so yummy!!!! We ran out of it through winter some time. It has been a long time since we have been able to have some. The best cheese is just good old tasty. I want more.
I thought i had written about it before but I could find it so here it is. Now the ingredients, to me, sound a bit funny. It tastes nothing like you would think with what it has in it. I was trying to think how I would explain it and there really is no words. Trust me though, make it, it doesn't take much or very long. So even if your taste is different to mine it wont be too much of a waste of effort.
Green Tomato Relish:
725 gram cucumber (about two)
500 grams of green tomatoes
500 grams of red onion
Cut up very very finely. Put in a bowl and cover with water and a tablespoon of salt. Leave over night.
Drain off water, put into a big saucepan, add 500 grams of sugar and 750 mls of white vinegar. Bring to the boil and boil for about 20 mins.
Now take one tablespoon of corn flour
1 tablespoon of curry powder
1 tablespoon of mustard.
Mix in a bowl with a bit of white vinegar to make a paste. Mix to the mixture and boil for about 5 mins.
Makes about 5 jam jars worth.
Ok, I give in, off to have more cheese and crackers
Tx

No comments:

Post a Comment