Friday, August 10, 2012

A Game for the Kids



When you are start reading other blogs and looking around the Internet you come across some great ideas. As many are recreated by many different writers and crafters it is hard to remember where you find some ideas. So this is not an original idea. I have seen a few done in fabric like I have done. I have also see a great one done using felt. I think I would quite like to have a go at that as I think it would be a bit better. I will explain that a bit later.

So this is the memory game. Usually done with a pack of cards or something similar. I thought by doing it like this and with a fewer pairs both Ryan and Adele can play it together. Ryan is in charge of explaining the rules. Sort of learning how to be a big kid, you know junior leader sort of thing and Adele loves her brother spending time with her.

I picked out 10 different fabrics, cut to 4.5 inch square. I found enough of one fabric to be the "back" of the cards and again 4.5 inch squared. This needs to be the same for when the squares are turned over. Plus between the two layers is batting. It makes them a bit more durable. So the issue. The kids learnt pretty quickly on that if they got down low and looked at the sides of the squares that could see bits of the fabric, enough to help them get pairs. The ones done with felt don't have sewn edge, the fabric is sandwiched between two layers of felt and the fabric doesn't come right to the edge and hence to peeking fabric. But..... they still seem to enjoy it. I have to sit with them and make them pick the squares faster! Rat bags!!!!!

I have noticed though, not only are they memory cards, they seem to be "food" for Adele's babies. She has packed them in a bag and taken her family on an adventure. Oh well, at least they are being played with.

Tx

No comments:

Post a Comment