Monday, August 27, 2012

Long post, warning birthing story

 
So, its been a while. But crafting slowed down to a halt. We have had a rough week and a half and a baby. Which of course is wonderful, but man her timing... Some may not want to read this, totally fine, it is my story, by me and how I felt. I am sure Blair's would be very different. Very pleased to have our wee lass with us and now on to the fun part of being parents.
 
 
A week and a half ago, I was all excited as I had a great blog about all this food I had made for a family lunch I had made. This quickly finished up as Ryan had an out of the blue full on asthma attack. Blair rushed him to the medical centre and by the time they arrived he was all floppy and an ambulance was rung and the two of them transferred to the hospital. I got a phone call to say where they were and of course Adele and I wanted to rush there to but in the haste Blair had all the car seats and Adele and I were stuck at home. Thankfully a friend drove all the way out to our place, picked us up, took us to hospital, waited round and took Blair back to the car and then went home herself. Whew!!!!
 
Ryan, bless him, ended up with a two night stay getting his oxygen levels sorted and some sort of normal breathing going on. I stayed the first night and Blair the second. Needless to say we were all very shattered come Tuesday afternoon when we got to take our man home. The doctors think that it was brought on by the virus we all had and just a bit of being run down and stuff. But by god it was so scary! Adele missed him so much and was so excited when we got to bring him home. He was back at school the next day and we haven't really looked back. Last night he was a bit chesty but nothing like that Sunday afternoon.
 
So yes by now I had the bloody virus, and still do. It is awful!! So no sleep for me Wednesday and Thursday night coughing, peeing and checking Ryan was still breathing! Blair was doing school run, kindy run and taking Adele to where ever she needed to be. Basically filling in her day so I could sort of rest.
 
Now come Friday......



The start of the arrival of the baby, so we thought....

I started contracting around about Thursday night. Just little niggles, but enough to know it was different from the pain I had been going through. Lunch time it had picked up and by three I knew it was going to happen sooner rather than later. I rung mum, she came and picked up the kids after work, got Blair sorted and rung the midwife.

Note: In NZ you are under midwife care unless there is something different, usual or known complications. We can choose to birth at the hospital, a birth centre which is basic care level centre, still has all the things a mum and baby need but can't do c-sections or epidurals. If things start to go down that track you get transferred to the hospital and go from there. Or  a home birth. We are encouraged to stay home for as long as we care to, although we can go to our desired birthing place when ever. So I think it is a bit different than some oversea places. At the end of the day, my goal is always a live baby however it comes out.

So midwife, rung her, we came up with a plan, things were looking good. Off to the hospital at about 8 pm.

Right, we arrived, got checked and really what felt like a slap to the face, no, nothing, no dilation, your contracting but nothing. What is going on????? A doctor was called in, she was lovely and thankfully said I would not be leaving until I had my baby but again was a bit confused as to what was going on. The call was made to break my waters and what seemed like about 100 litres of fluid gushed out and filled with old blood. Questions again, have I been sick, had a fall, again what is going on??? Both baby and my hearts were racing, I had been tested for infection, which came back positive but with no idea where. I will admit to being a bit, well a lot anxious. Blair said he started to get worried it would be a c-section. Both having our own silent worries.




Now they wanted to test the baby's blood, remember she is still inside. So things were pushed and pulled and prodded. If this test came back positive then it would be a c-section, no discussion. She would have to come out. But that test came back ok. But now things were starting to get much more regular and stronger and I was getting a lot more scared. My body was shattered, my muscles in my back had begun to spasm due to three days of constant coughing and i just couldn't get my breathing in check. They checked again and thankfully I was 8 cm. This had come on rather fast from when the waters had been broken. It was me, Blair and the student midwife and I felt this over whelming urge to push, crazy desire... I was crying, Blair was saying stop the student midwife was saying stop, you cant you're only 8 cm and pushing the call bell over and over again. My midwife came back and said stop push and then quickly said I see a head, push. So from the check at 8 cm to the baby being born, out snuggling on my chest, 3 minutes. Then I think I went into shock.

Greta Vivienne born at 0224 am weighing 8 pound 12. We are all doing well.



We have had our first coffee out. I do look rather shattered, it was Monday morning, only two days after she was born. Plus we had been at ballet.

She seems to be adjusting to home life. The kids are adjusting to having another family member and love to give her kisses and cuddles at every moment.

That folks is it. A bit of a roller coaster ride but look at the end result, just perfect.

Tx

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tess! what a crazy story. great to know everything turned out ok but crikey what a week you have had. I'll be over sometime this week to visit - i'm flying out on Monday (3rd) so will have to be this week sometime. let me know if any day in particular is more suitable. Jilanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done you - what a story. I hope you are getting some recovery time (from virus and giving birth!) as well as enjoying your beautiful new girl :D

    ReplyDelete