Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Rainbow Cake


Since seeing the amazing Rainbow cake over on www.paisleyjade.com I have really wanted to have a go. So Blair arranged a family fishing trip, Blair, the kids, his parents, sister, husband and his sister and I stayed back. I wasn't feeling to flash so a day sitting in a boat didn't sound too good. After they left the cake jumped into my mind and I thought now was as good as time as any!
Thankfully I did pick a day with no one around as it took ages. I only could do one cake at a time, just due to the oven so I was cooking for three hours. Plus then I had to wait for them to cool and then carefully stack. No distractions was pretty good!
Basically I made a simple vanilla cake times 2. Divided the mixture of each cake into three, giving me six bowls of mixture. I then coloured each one. I used heaps of colouring. I wanted it super duper bright. The purple cake, my first one, didn't have enough colouring and was a bit bland. Even Ryan asked what was wrong with it. Then once cooled I put a whole heap of white chocolate ganache between the layers, helped stick them together and poured a whole heap over the top.
White Chocolate Ganache:
Two king size bars of white chocolate
200mls on cream
Slowly melt and mix together. Place in fridge until at the right consistency.
I was pretty pleased with how it turned out. The slices were so huge that even I couldn't eat my whole piece! Ryan had great fun pulling his apart and eating them in order of his favourite colours. You can't be grumpy with a Rainbow cake! Which in a way was quite fitting as a couple of heated discussions came up over wedding plans. I kept saying, come on, eat more rainbow cake, you can't be sad! I think everyone was getting sick of me haha.
Tx

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of the Louisiana King Cake only it's flat and looks like its tied in a knot. Mom's neice sends her 1,2,or3 each year around the time of the Mardi Gras celebrations.

    ReplyDelete