Thursday, May 31, 2012

Playing teacher

A while a go a friend had been asking question about sewing, how to start, what machine to get, you know all that sort of stuff you think about when you are about to start a project. I sort of forgot that I had a spare machine, so one day I was sewing away and I was looking at it and I thought "I should lend this to her so she can see if she really wants to do some sewing". Sewing takes a bit of investment so if you can try it out first at least you know it isn't a waste of money.

So we got together and I showed her how to make a twirly skirt for her daughter. My other spare machine (promise I only have two and one is broken) has  a crazy fault in it and gathers fabric super duper well. On this day it was even more super duper than normal. So in the end we had two amazing twirly skirts. The most twirly in history. Both the skirts ended up with just shy on 2 metres of fabric. Yes the waist bands have to be rather snug to keep them up. Adele's skirt is made of cord, so very heavy.



I regularly go to a fabric store in Otara and they have the left overs from Pumpkin Patch. I think the cord was about $6 a metre and branded!


Check out the twirl. Didn't her mummy do a great job! This one is cupcakes fabric. Of course my over locker had a fit on the day which was a pain. I think the needles were really blunt. I have since changes them and cross fingers every thing is going much better.

 
I had to laugh at us, it really felt 1920's. Getting together for a morning of sewing. It was a great way to get a project finished. Plus we now have two happy girls.

Tx

No comments:

Post a Comment