Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The super duper twirly skirt

I have been so busy with the Women's Expo I did on the weekend that the list of clothing I want to make for myself and the kids is getting longer and longer and longer! I now know I can't do everything! Well not at once.

So the expo is done and dusted. It was average. A lot of work for not as many sales as I had hoped. But now I have done it, I would have spent a lot of time wondering "should I have done it". Next year, not so sure. But then I wont be 6 months pregnant so it might be a bit more achievable. Who knows?


I caught up with a friend for coffee and a trip to Spotlight on Tuesday when our girls were at kindy. We had her wee man, but he was such a star and my perfect helper. Helped me pick out a zip for a future project. So of course when you have loads of stuff at home to work on, what do you do... Buy new fabric of course! I had been eyeing up this Little Red Riding Hood fabric for ages. The the roll was starting to get a bit low. It was expensive, well for me but I thought what the heck. Even better it was on sale. I am thinking of getting some more, they have The Cow Jumped Over The Moon too. I think it will be brilliant for a pair of overalls I have in mind for the baby. This is a long long story... The next day is coffee group and for some reason I just had to make Adele something new for coffee group. Luckily for me Blair was home so he took Ryan to school and I set about making Adele a new skirt. Her twirly skirt was starting to get a bit short from last year so I set about cutting strips for a new twirly skirt. It worked out fantastic. I made the top layer a bit tight, so the layers appear super twirly, it is a bit tricky to pull on and off for her. I am thinking about making another one and bit more roomy. Though I do like how it makes the twirly layers more, well, twirly.

So what I did.... Usually I cut a full width of fabric for the top band, I don't know why, but I cut it smaller. Bad mistake! So if you plan to make this, FULL width of fabric. I made it to 6 inches wide. Then the layers at 5 inches. I used two for the second layer, needed three I think and then 4 for the third layer at the 5 inches again. Should have cut 5. I gathered the two layers as much as I could. This makes for super twirly action. Sewed the layers together and then sewed up the back. Folded over the top to make a space for elastic and off we went.

She is so funny, skipping jumping at every chance to make the skirt flip up. I think she rather likes it.

So this week I want to do Ryan's raincoat, a quilt for the baby and a ballet bag for Adele. Oh and a Jedi coat for Ryan. The list is always expanding so who knows what will be finished.

Tx

No comments:

Post a Comment