Thursday, June 21, 2012

My little Jedi

 I am in a bit of a finishing mood. I have a few almost completed projects lying around and now is the time to finish them off. So this morning I put the binding on the new baby quilt. It had been sitting there for a while, all pinned and ready to go. I was going to use the pink in the squares for the binding, but this morning I changed my mind and used a flannel piece I had left over from Adele's ballet bag. Be nice and soft around the baby's face. It is a different pink but I still quite like it.

Today is the last day of the the term for Ryan and this week at school has been book week, finishing today with a dress-up day. Yes, I know that a Jedi is not really a book character, Ryan is into Star Wars at the moment and if I am going to make him something I want it to be something he is really in to. Plus I went to the mall yesterday and found a Star Wars book. Soooo yes a Jedi is a book character.

I used a Simplicity pattern, number 5512. It is a black wizard or something clock, looks very ominous. But made in this brown merino/polar fleece blend it is perfect. Most importantly Ryan loves it. Blair and I had a laugh at school as we over heard one of the mum's talking about her son being a Jedi too "but he doesn't have a real cloak". So passes the "other mother" test. I feel a bit bad because a notice was sent home telling parents not to hire costumes and try and use what they have around the house. My cloak cost $24 to make. And his tunic is an old shirt of Blair's. So whilst is looks great, it really didn't cot a lot.

I had a heart stopping moment though, I was sewing it all up Wednesday afternoon and I had not cut out two sleeves (I am blaming baby brain) and I had the smallest piece of fabric left. Since I had got this from Auckland there was no popping into town to get more. In a total fluke I could fit the missing sleeve on to the scrape, it was completely off the grain and a small bit missing, but no one will ever know I am sure. Thank goodness!!! I tell you, school age kids is so much harder than babies and toddlers!

I think a bit of nesting might be kicking in as I have a strong desire to make up the baby's room. The only thing putting my off is what to do with the stuff dumped in there. Amazing how a spare room will become a dumping ground. It needs to be done, I only have 9 weeks to go and I have this overwhelming feeling that this baby is coming early. Or maybe that is just wishful thinking.

Tx

No comments:

Post a Comment