Thursday, June 28, 2012

Poor Sick wee lass



It is Adele's turn to have the chicken pox. Poor wee girl has so many little pox marks. They aren't as awful as Ryan's but there is many many more. She is not a happy girl. They seem to be bothering her a bit more than Ryan's did. I feel so sorry for her.

So, in a way to try and make her a bit happier I thought I would make her a dress I have been eyeing up on the internet for a while. There are 100's of versions of this dress, it looked easy and I didn't really feel like buying a pattern.


The bodice is done by shirring the fabric. The guidelines I found on line said to double the chest measurement. But I think next time I will add maybe 10 cm. It was a bit big and I had to cut quite a bit off. I was worried all the elastic would pull out so I zigzaged the back seam a heck of a lot and it seems to be holding o.k.

I made really wide straps as the dress is so heavy. I used over 4 metres of fabric. This also means it is super duper princess twirly! Like THE most twirly dress in the world!!!!! I used my gathering foot on my overlocker as I was trying to make each layer not as gathered as the skirts I had been making. But I must have improved my skills at using it as the layers are still very gathered. At least it is a positive mistake. It also means I ran out of fabric and had to put some white in the layers. Its makes it look sort of patchwork.

I was at a discount store a few days ago and they had little $5 tiarra's. I couldn't help myself, I brought one for Adele. She has barely taken it off. Even had a bath with it on. Yes I know, encouraging the "Princess Syndrome" but you know, I grew up thinking I was a princess and dressing up like a princess and I joined the Army, liked doing "boy" subjects at school and still got covered in dirt. So at this stage in Adele's life I am not too worried.

Right time to think of what to make for dinner....

Tx

1 comment:

  1. Oh poor sick kiddies!
    Thanks for your comment on my blog, I only realised you were the leggings lady when I checked out your profile! I love, love love the leggings, I am pretty much rotating my grey and purple pairs alternate days.
    I do recommend the Poppy Tunic pattern... you could probably make it work for maternity with extra width and gathers at the front :)

    ReplyDelete