Thursday, January 27, 2011

birthday sewing and a little more

To take a wee break from sewing I made up some cucumber relish. It is one of those ones that takes a couple of days, you have to put the vege in a whole heap of salt and leave over night and the boil up. And man it is so tasty. I wasn't to keen on making it to begin with (a couple of years back) but my husband talked me into it and now it is a staple in our cupboard. This year we are going to make a couple of batches as we always seem to run out...not good. It goes really well with crackers and cheese (and a few wines)

Right here is how you make it:

725 grams of cucumber (about 2)
500 grams of green tomatoes
500 grams of red onion

cut up finely and place in a bowl, covered with water and a tablespoon of salt

24 hours later, drain off water and add
750 mls of white vinegar
500 grams of sugar

bring to the boil and boil for 20 mins. I stir it quite a bit to begin with to make sure the sugar doesn't burn.

Finally a small bowl mix up
1 tablespoon of curry powder, mustard powder and corn flour, make into a paste with some of the vinegar. Add to the mix and boil for another 5 mins.

In to jars yum!!! And it doesn't really taste like curry, it is worth a least one go!

Also I have been doing some sewing (of course). So my wee man picked out some material before Christmas and it was all a bit crazy so only have made these yesterday...ops
It is burda 9641, I have used this pattern loads!!! A couple of times like it is, a couple of time without pockets, with half the amount of pockets. It is so easy to change around. Anyone who sews and has boys know there really isn't a lot out there so I find this a good staple and well Ryan loves what I make for him so he is happy and that is the most important! Yes he was Batman at kindy today, and that was the best of the shorts I could get.







Now birthday girl... Well I used "Little Girl, Big Style", it is a book by ummm not sure but it is on a lot of crafting blogs and easy enough to find. I made the size 2 twirly skirt, finished off with ribbon and sequin trim, plus a T&T tee-shirt with sequin trim (I added). I did think about making a tee-shirt but it was only $4, I can't make a plain tee for that, so I just brought and embellished, surely that is crafting too?? The material (oh shame) is stuff I have had lying around for a couple of years, the top tier was from covering jam tops a very long time ago and the second and third, I can't even remember where and why I brought that. So good to see it finally being used he he he

Well enough for now, I am looking after my friends two boys today, so don't think and sewing will be happening today.

T xx

No comments:

Post a Comment