Friday, May 20, 2011

Midnight Madness Sewing

Last night for the midnight madness sewing at Donna's quilt studio. So I arrived at 5 pm, very excited about what I could achieve in that time.See here is my car all packed up with every thing I thought I could need. It was my first time at anything like this so really wasn't sure what to expect, or do, who would be there, would they be nice. I don't do group situations very well. So I was very apprehensive. Every one was so lovely and I felt quite cuffed to get some compliments from the slightly grey ladies. I took along my Amy Butler pleated clutch (more to come) and some stripes that needed sewing together for Ryan's quilt top. I got every thing done so much quicker than I thought, the blessing of no children around. So luckily we were at the quilt studio and I was able to buy some cuddle fabric and do some more of Ryan's quilt. Very cunning of Donna ;)So the purse. I had done some reading by other bloggers about this purse. And tried to make a purse using the bits of advice I thought sounded good for me. I am so so pleased with the results. I love the fabric, it is Amy Butler is why would you! And I just love the purse design, it is so simple, but the pleated make it look so fancy. I used someones advice (sorry who ever it was now) and put some pellon on the inside and it makes it some much more sturdy. But since I did that I should have cut the lining a wee bit smaller, so my lining is a little bunched. But if the desire ever takes me I can easily fix that. And I left the arm strap off, I could see it was going to be snug and I forgot to lengthen it, so it went in the bin!
The pleats by far is the tricky part, mostly because the fabric gets so hot. I got a spray bottle and sprayed the fabric with water. It helps cool it, but also helps the pleats sit nice and flat. So I got this all done before class.
Finished!! Inside is the spotty light blue fabric. Just lovely! Now I need a night out so the purse can be used to its potential. I made the medium side and I think that is just right. I have noticed a lot of other blogger types have made the medium too. It does use quite a bit of fabric, but not as much as the instructions recommend.

Right this is rather long, so I will post about Ryan's quilt tomorrow....It is Blake Riley fabric and cuddle...YUMMY!

Tx

No comments:

Post a Comment