Saturday, July 14, 2012

A quilting sort of day

 Today is an awful day. Wet, windy and cold. Last night I was reading over one of my quilting books, Scrap Republic by Emily Cier and I came across (for the hundredth time) the Plumb quilt. The whole book is about de-stashing and using scraps. Making the most of what you already have. I have liked this one for a while, though parts of it were a bit scrappy for my liking. Don't get me wrong, I do like a good scrappy quilt too, but just for my mathematical mind I need order and exact-ness.

I pulled out all my scraps, even scraps I had forgotten about and found all the bits I needed. I have quite a bit more fabric than I knew about. In fact I could make every quilt in the book and not need to buy any fabric for the tops. Plus I didn't even open my chest I have filled with fabric. Feels good to be using what I have.




The top is meant to have a row of yellow as well, but I have no yellow scraps or yellow fabric at all. So I added pink. The book also had a row of purple, which I could have done but decided to do blue and turquoise, it is meant to be a neutral quilt. But I guess it is sort of more girlie.

This baby quilt, well, I did a count up and wrote down due dates of baby's of friends that are due soon. There are six!!!! All before the 21 Jan. It is a little bit crazy really. Some I will make quilts for, some I wont. One friend quilts herself so I am sure she will go nuts making one once she finds out what she is having.

I am happy with how it has turned out. The idea is that you start with the light colours and go down the strip until you get to the dark colours. Not sure what to back it with and the binding yet. I hope to sort that out this week. I need some batting so will have a good look round Spotlight for something that will work.

I am really enjoying making these baby quilts. Hopefully people will enjoy recieving them as much.

Tx

No comments:

Post a Comment