Saturday, December 3, 2011

More Biscuits

I love Christmas! We have most of the shopping done, quilt being quilted, so now it is time for the food.
I came across this book and I had to buy it. Lots of great simple ideas for a bit of festive baking. So last night, after a day at work and kids tucked away in bed I started baking. Blair was watching the cricket and I was baking. I can't make biscuits without making a huge mess so once I had all the trays with their pretty little biscuits on them, I had about an hour to clean but all the flour and butter EVERYWHERE. I am mostly happy with how they have turned out. I should have used a bigger hole in the middle because as they cooked and rose a small bit, the hole closed in. The one I put a much bigger hole turned out the best.
Stained Glass Biscuits:
125 grams butter
1/2 cup caster sugar (I used standard sugar, was all I had and it was ok)
1 egg
1/2 cup golden syrup (I used honey)
3 cups of flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
boiled lollies
Beat the butter and sugar, add egg. Add syrup, mix.. Then the flour and baking powder.
Tear off two pieces of baking paper, put the dough between the two sheets and roll the dough out til about 5mm thick. Cut the biscuits, I did circles but you really could do any shape. Cut out a
small shape out of the middle. I did circles, I didn't have many shapes. The book does stars and they look really cute. Put the tray with the biscuits on it into the fridge for about 30 mins.
Right after 30 mins, put crushed up boiled lollies into the hole, pop in the oven for about 10 mins, oven at 180 degrees.
On a different note, from my scraps I managed to get nearly all the squares I needed. I just need two more! I am pretty impressed. So now I am going to cut out the white squares and then do the wonky cutting. But first we have today. Blair's work puts on a great kids Christmas party and then my brother randomly asked if him and his girl-friend could take the kids to a show in Auckland. So that is this afternoon. So over tonight and tomorrow I want to finish my friends skirt (can't wait to share that because she has picked the most amazing fabric) and make Ryan a pair of shorts and well there is always projects to do!
Tx

1 comment:

  1. I remember eating stained glass biscuits at a fair, so cool, cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete