Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Hokey Pokey


I think every kiwi kid makes this at some point during third or fourth form science, over a Bunsen burner. I remember doing mine in Mr Jagers third form with Jade McCabe. We burnt ours. Thankfully it wasn't a sign of my baking adventures but to be fair I have still had my share of baking stuff ups.

Ryan got a volcano kit for his birthday and had been begging to make it up and do some of the activities. Yesterday Blair and him made the volcano, did the baking soda and vinegar thing. One of the other activities was making the hokey pokey (honey comb). Now I am not sure how this really teaches kids about volcano's but it is a lot of fun. Imagine a volcano spewing a lava of hokey pokey, be rather tasty but a bit sticky!

It is pretty easy to make, 5 mins really and Ryan has been a bit neglected with Adele being so sick. So really 5 mins is really nothing and means a whole heap to him.

Hokey Pokey:

4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda

a tray with baking paper

Put sugar and golden syrup in a pot, bring to the heat and stir, stir and stir. Once the mixture is caramelised, this will be when the sugar is completely dissolved and the mix runny put in the baking soda, mix and put on the tray. It will foam up and triple in size if not more.

Once cooled break into pieces. A yummy sugary treat.

I have a gas cook top, after giving the kids the reminder about the open flame I managed to catch my dressing grown on fire. Thankfully no burns, but a good lesson for the kids lol

Tx

No comments:

Post a Comment